There has been alot of talk in the low vision community about the Chinese copies of German low vision torch/stand magnifiers and how the copies rate.
The Chinese copies are offered by Kuafu International and BriVision both Chinese companies belonging to a Mr Cheng Gang from Wuhan. The Chinese copies are heavily promoted by a few companies under the brand names of Riezen, Mattingly etc.
The general concensus is identified below
- The Chinese copies are cheap
- The copies do not measure up for the following reasons
- Optical inconsistancy
- Mechanical defects on battery mechanisms
- Lack of options for light control (in general)
- Large quantities that need to be purchased
- Misleading information on orders and confirmations
- Problems with replacements on faulty goods
- Very bad presentation for retail
While they are cheap and serve a purpose in some markets they are below par when compared with European models they copied.